It was decided in 1836 that a church should be built in Clearfield, and although the exact date of completion is uncertain, it was recorded that the Quarterly Conference was held in the newly completed structure on October 5, 1839. The church, referred to as the “Meeting House” was located in the present day parking lot of CNB Bank on Cherry Street.
This congregation was the Clearfield Methodist Episcopal Church from the time of the Cherry Street church until the name “Trinity” was adopted on August 7, 1907.
Up until this time, one preacher did all the work on the circuit, an area covered from Philipsburg west to Luthersburg, and from Elk County to southern Clearfield County, making a circuit of 70 miles north and south and 36 miles east and west. The circuit rider traveled by horseback and would stay at people’s homes.